- A trip to the end of the earth – Falklands, South Georgia & Antarctica–Explorers & Kings
- Ushuaia–Fin del Mundo
- Ushuaia–Day 2
- Waiting for my ship to come in…
- Come sail away…
- Day #1 & 2 – En route to the Falklands
- Day #3 – West Point Island & Saunders Island, The Falklands
- Day # 4 – Stanley–more British than Britain
- Day # 7 – Right Whale Bay & Salisbury Plain–Kings, kings & more kings
- Day #8 – In the footsteps of Shackleton
- Day #9 – Elephants & Kings – St. Andrew’s Bay & Gold Harbour
- Day #10 – Cooper Bay & Drygalski Fjord
- Day #13 – Elephant Island
- Day #14 – Setting foot on Antarctica
- Day #15 – Whales, whales and more whales – a “Tail” of a perfect day
- Day # 16 – Deception Island & Half Moon Bay
- Day 19 & 20 – Buenos Aires
- Antarctica Photo Gallery
It was a surprisingly busy sea day as we headed for the Falkland Islands. After a 7:45 wake up call and breakfast, we had a presentation on the birds of the Falklands, got our muck boots, had a photography talk, lunch, a (mandatory) landing guidelines & Zodiac procedures meeting, afternoon tea, a history of the Falklands talk (I skipped that one), our first Expedition Briefing, the Captain’s welcome cocktail and dinner.
Here are some random bird shots from the deck of the boat.
A black browed albatross – you’ll see more of these later…
This is a Southern Giant Petrel
One of the options on this ship is kayaking; you have to sign up (and pay) beforehand. They go kayaking (weather permitting) when the rest of us do shore landings and zodiac cruises.
After dinner Shane (our expedition leader) came over the PA to let us know that it was shaping up to be a beautiful sunset. So, camera in hand I headed out for my last pictures of the day.
6 thoughts on “Day #1 & 2 – En route to the Falklands”
Makes me want to go there! Great bird and sunset shots.
Oh Wow! I can’t wait for more. living vicariously through you Kathy.
Not much to get excited about – are you kidding me ?! , beautiful pics Kathy!
Beautiful shots Kathy!
Fabulous bird and sunset pictures! I’m finally able to have a proper look at your blog and am very much looking forward to it!
Going to start reading all of these today. Day 1 wow, beautiful pictures.